Thursday, January 14, 2016

Welcome to the Family Robby!

It's official! Disney Runs in the Family has grown! We welcomed our little prince Robby to the world on 1/7/16 at 7:53 pm. No, it's not really running or Disney related, but trust me, this little guy (and I) participated in the marathon of all marathons, ironically enough during the WDW marathon weekend. And hey, since it's my blog, I can share what I want--and I can't wait to share my labor story.
The newest member of Disney Runs in the Family

I'll start with a quick summary: 39 hours. Yep, that says it all! With that in mind, I figured a multi-part post was in order.

My due date had come and gone (I was due January 4th). Oddly enough I never even thought I'd go this long; I always assumed I'd have him early. He apparently had different plans. There's something really strange about waiting to go into labor. You're just sitting around, hoping to have a sign that something was going to happen. You take everything as a sign--I stubbed my toe, must be labor; the light twitched, must be labor; my hair looks bad; must be labor. I think we Googled "what does a contraction feel like" at least 100 times. People kept telling me "you'll know" but that wasn't good enough.

Our little runDisney family
It was true, though. Around 5 a.m. on Wednesday, January 3rd I was woken up by some significant pains in my belly. They were different, more painful, and I had the urge to get up and move through them. I paced in my bedroom for a little, then decided to grab Bill's phone and start timing. Yep, it was different, and I was having contractions every 7-8 minutes. Woohoo! It was finally starting. I had planned a beautiful, natural labor, so I took a long, hot shower to get myself in a relaxed mind and body.  When Bill woke up, I let him know that I was pretty sure I was in labor. It was all very calm and relaxed. My mom was still at our house, and I really just wanted to be alone, so we spent a lot of time in our bedroom just being quiet.

To move things along, we headed out for a morning walk. It was peaceful and relaxing, but the contractions weren't really progressing any quicker. I also tried to nap but the excitement and anticipation combined with the contractions didn't leave much room for rest. My contractions slowed (even to as little as once every 10-11 minutes) but they never stopped. I ate small, energizing meals. I was doing everything I had read and seen to move labor along and make sure my body was ready to welcome this new little one into the world.

The night kept progressing, but the contractions never got more frequent than every 7-8 minutes. We binge watched a few new shows on Netflix (that I now have to go back and start over, because apparently I wasn't actually paying attention). Around 9 pm my water finally broke. That started to move things along, but not nearly as fast as I thought it would. We kept timing contractions and debated going to the hospital. My plan was to labor at home as long as possible. I wanted to be in a comfortable place and able to move around without being constantly monitored. We finally decided to go in around 1:30 a.m. so I took a long, hot shower, finished packing the hospital bag, even put on a little makeup and fixed my hair (hey, I knew there were some really important pictures in my future). The hospital is less than 2 miles from our house, so we arrived around 3 a.m. It was our last time driving anywhere as a family of 2. Our lives were about to change!

Stay tuned for part 2! I know you already know the ending, but it's about the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment